LEND A HAND





  Sometimes last year, I went to the Lagos University  Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Lagos to visit a friend who was on admission .I was shocked by what I saw and discovered that there are hundreds of people awaiting one kind of medical attention or another; and a question flashed
through my mind at the instant. Why do we have so many sick people who badly need medical attention in the midst of a lot of rich people? The memories of what I saw that day has continued
to worry me because there are even more sick people in some of our teaching hospitals than beds.

Ironically, there are loads of empty beds in private hospitals. They are not empty because there are nobody to occupy them; they are not affordable!  I immediately said a prayer to God for the gift of life and of good health.But that didn't stop .My mind was  filled with so many questions. Have I ever paid a visit to the hospital to see a stanger?

Have I ever contributed to someones medical bill without having a clue who the person is? My heart was heavy and I knew I had to do something about. I am writing  about it as a first step towards my goal of helping people in need. Even if I don’t have money to offer; is it too much to show love to the sick? Is too big a task to visit the poor in the hospitals, buy them fruits that cost less than 50 Naira for a start, and probably say some words of prayers for them?

I have been to several forums; and trust me there are quite a  number of them online these days. I read posts and responses where the poor criticize the ‘rich’ for not coming to the aid of the sick and dying. The only people we visit in the hospitals are our family members;Are our  our neighbors aren’t part of a larger society. You can’t provide money for surgery and other kind of medical treatment; but how about providing love and care? We come back from churches on Sunday, and move to cinemas in the evening or take our families out on picnics; but no one has a few minutes to spare for the sick. Visiting the sick in hospitals and in their homes may not cost you


anything. It didn’t cost Jesus Christ a dime when he visited the sick and the bereaved in their homes.

How about waking up this coming Sunday morning and paying a quick visit to that long- forgotten widow or orphan in the hospital? Do you know that a word of encouragement could make a lot of difference in the life of someone contemplating suicide? Yes!. A word of encouragement could change a lot of things; and you could be the one God would use in speaking such words.
Somewhere out there is a sick or dying man crying out for help! That man, boy,. woman or  little girl needs your help to stay alive. He/she needs your support to stay alive and be a part of a nation that is matching towards greatness.

You can’t single handedly sponsor a kidney transplant or heart surgery? Don’t worry. The little you give will be complemented by what millions of
other Nigerians would give. I laugh when people get scared when figures rising into millions are quoted
when it comes to kidney transplant and heart surgery. Is anyone asking you to shoulder it
all alone? As  long as you are healthy and mentally sane; you are rich, and can afford to help the sick in your own little way. I don’t know about you; but I am convinced that the more sick people around me; the more my conscience worries me.

I am not a millionaire, but I can help by saying some soothing words of relief, buy bathing soaps, oranges, and sending encouraging text messages. I am sure you will agree with me that this is not a difficult task? Do take this as an appeal. Do whatever you can to assist in whatever little way you can to touch lives and encourage people to start helping as well. If you are already doing such great things, you are greatly appreciated and I pray to follow in your footsteps as well.



All am trying to do here is encourage us as people to go out there and make a difference in own little way and touch lives of people who truly need our love and support.
May God continue to guide and provide for us all.



EDDY UWOGHIREN.


Department of Medicine,

 University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH),

Benin city , Nigeria.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Eddy Uwoghiren is a Medical Student at the University of Benin, Benin city, Nigeria. He is a contributor to several prints and web media. He freelances with nine newspapers in Nigeria. Eddy is very passionate about medical journalism. He wants to find out why some communities are more healthy than others, develop skills needed to cover health and medicine anywhere in the world, for any audience , in any medium.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment