DIARY OF A HOUSE OFFICER

                                                  
“Whatever you are, be a good one’’
 –Abraham Lincoln


 Oh my God! Its already 6am. I dashed off, had a quicked shower, fumbed with toothpaste and hopped into my clothes. I immediately mumbled a few words of prayers and scurried off with a snack, for what should pass for breakfast. Gosh! Its either my alarm clock battery died or my response to the blare is dying? ; , I thought to myself; but what did I expect anyway, battling with Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for a patient in Accident and Emergency Ward till 3  am. Straight from working a 17 hour stretch, thus, having barely  3 hour of sleep. Despite my alarm clock being an  hour late it should be awarded well let’s leave by gones.

Emerging from the tunnel that leads into the hospital from the back , I immediately faced the path that leads to Paediatrics ward and  laboratory.
 I could not help but feel the rush of Adrenaline just  like a player in the champions league emerging from the tunnel in the Allianz arena or the NOU camp on to the field. Whether I was prepared for it or not, it was game time, the day has started.

6:45am. I took right towards the laboratories ; I had some results I needed to retrieve before ward round begins at 7am. I scanned through the results available, but the result I was looking for was not there. I skimmed through the roster, and yet  it was not entered in.

‘’Oga wetin dey happen na, i send sample yesterday evening’’
I asked the man at the reception,
 the result never come out na?  I added, “you don check the roster?’’  he asked.  “Yes na,i don check am, e nor dey’’ I replied,’’ you nor bring am na.’’ he retorted, almost carefree. I was caught before a feeling of sadness and anger, but I was too busy to join issues with the receptionist on a Monday morning for all it was worth. I had a ward round to catch up. Between two evils , I will definitely prefer not to be late for rounds, as  though, I would return. I dashed off to the ward and at 6:55am, I was at the patient bedside.

7:00am. As though the big Ben had struck over the hospitals gate, the registrar walked in,’’Dr,where is the E and U for the patient’’, the replied hung in my mouth, as one who have bitten more meat than he could chew, ‘I took the sample to the Laboratory yesterday, but the result is not ready’’  I replied. How can you say that?’’ he fumed. ‘’I would go back to collect it’’, I added. The next 10 minutes before the rest of the crew joined was filled with all manners of barrage, no explanations sufficed. If only he was willing to understand that the delay was not my fault.  I only get away with a promise of making sure the result was available by mid-day.

Afterwards, rounds continued, with over forty patients to be seen. It finally ended 11:00am, we had a clinic to run and for me, more work to do- a list of patients to be transfused, drugs to be given at different times, blood samples to collect, result to retrieve and clinic to run. The day only got busier.

I return to the laboratory and found the result I sort earlier. I discovered them. The sample was erroneously added to routine sample  as a back log from the day’s work. The only price I had to pay for the mistake was patience. The result were only going to receive at 3:00pm, I had no option, so I waited.

The two successive beeps from my phone, alerted me to two text massages, one from my mother, ‘’ Eva, have you forgotten me? It been two weeks and not even a flash from you’’ .Heeey’, I screamed, my two hands interlaced, supporting my occiput. My mom had called me and I  had told her to hang up, that I will return and call when I am less busy- that was two weeks earlier. I felt a pang of guilt, but again I rescheduled her call.

 I went over the next text, it was a salary alert. I pored over the figures, did a mental calculation of my tithes and look at the calendar’’ my next free weekend was three weeks away. Wow! That is when I will most likely make church service again. I could count my attendance in church meeting over the next three months with the fingers of one hands alone. I usually plan to attend, but call duties and contingencies kept creeping up; ‘’ it is well’’, I muttered to myself. I went over the figure of the salary, drew a budget and the entire cash was gone in minutes.

Iyiemwen’’, a scream as loud as the sound of a decending airplane startled me out of my reverie. I folded the paper with the drawn budget and slipped it over into the less pocket of my ward coat. Well, the game they say continues,  I have patients to attend to.
Indeed, the full year internship programme can be quiet harmful. The idea of learning medicine experimentally with the master can be more demanding than it seems. However, such is  life, the secret lies in effective management of your time, resources and relationships. If you can gain mastery of these you will still keep your head, which is very important.

If I must say, in all of the busyness, do not lose yourself. The first casual thing is your relationship with God especially and then man. As much as you can, do your best to guard them jealously.
Everyday, remind yourself on the essence of the programme. 

Remember, whatever you do, by all means, learn something, for goodness sake, that is the whole idea. It certainly would not get easier, but you will only get stronger and wiser. On a final note paraphrasing the word of Abraham Lincoln, when you become a house officer, please, be a good one.

By

Dr Tom Evaara  MBBch


Dr Evaara was a House Officer at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), Benin City, Nigeria between June  2013 –June 2014.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Eddy Uwoghiren is a Medical Student at the University of Benin, Benin city, Nigeria. He is a contributor to several prints and web media. He freelances with nine newspapers in Nigeria. Eddy is very passionate about medical journalism. He wants to find out why some communities are more healthy than others, develop skills needed to cover health and medicine anywhere in the world, for any audience , in any medium.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment